Monday, December 3, 2007

The Undomestic Goddess, by Sophie Kinsella

Last week I polished off one of many books written by Sophie Kinsella, albeit the first one of hers I'd ever read, The Undomestic Goddess. I was long familiar with the author by name, having been recommended her Shopaholic series by friends. However, for as long as I can remember, I've never let myself read too many of what I considered to be fluff books. I guess I thought the moment I picked up a romance or mystery novel and cracked the cover, my brain would immediately disintegrate into mush. I figured I had to stick to the important books, mainly nonfiction. I don't recall how I came by this rule I set for myself, but it wasn't until lately that I decided it was meant to be broken.

I picked up this most recent of Kinsella's laugh-out-loud novels at the airport when my boyfriend and I were headed back to Maryland from Missouri. And, I am happy to report that my brain is still intact. I was dead wrong. If anything, with this book, I couldn't wait until my next free moment, so that I could dive back into the world of Samantha Sweeting, a lawyer-turned-housekeeper just trying to keep her head above water.

After a harrowing turn of events that instantly changes the course of her immaculate legal career, Samantha panics, flees and ends up signing on as a domestic engineer, a job which encompasses all of the tasks she never got around to learning in her high-powered frenzy of everyday life -- chores such as cooking, ironing and washing laundry eluded her, until she was forced to demonstrate she was an expert at them all. Gulp... What transpires keeps the reader positively cemented to the seat to the very end... or at least it does this reader.

No comments: