Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Oracle Night, by Paul Auster

Today I began reading Oracle Night, by Paul Auster. So far, it promises to be an intriguing story, peppered with "eerie premonitions and bewildering events." The book centers around 34-year-old novelist Sidney Orr from New York City, who is recovering from a near-fatal illness. During one of many strolls Orr takes, as he seeks to regain a hold on his life, he encounters a curious stationery shop where he purchases a blank blue notebook. That seemingly harmless small act is what sets into motion every event that follows.

This is the fourth book I've read by Paul Auster. He is quite a prolific writer, and I enjoy his style. I recently read his short memoir, Hand to Mouth. I've also read In the Country of Last Things and I Thought My Father Was God, a compilation of true and compelling stories submitted by ordinary people, taken from a National Public Radio (NPR) segment, The National Story Project, that Auster hosted a few years ago.

No comments: